1 FAIL in make check of current cvs HEAD

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: 1 FAIL in make check of current cvs HEAD
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 23:59:53 -0500

On 17-Jan-2008, Johann Cohen-Tanugi wrote:

| hello,
| I get a  scripts/optimization/sqp.m failure with current a current build
| of octave on a linux platform. Running it by hand yields :
| address@hidden octave]$ octave scripts/optimization/sqp.m
| GNU Octave, version 3.0.0+
| Copyright (C) 2007 John W. Eaton and others.
| This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
| There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
| FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.
|
| Octave was configured for "i686-pc-linux-gnu".
|
| Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.
|
| Please contribute if you find this software useful.
| For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html
|
| Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
| http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).
|
| For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.
|
| error: nested functions not implemented in this context
| error: near line 509 of file `scripts/optimization/sqp.m.m'
| parse error near line 509 of file scripts/optimization/sqp.m
|
|   syntax error
|
|  >>> function [merit, obj] = phi_L1 (obj, obj_fun, ce_fun, ci_fun, x, mu)

I seem to recall a temporary problem like that, but it should be fixed
now.  Is your checkout really current?  In any case, if you are using
Octave built from CVS, you should be aware of the information in

  ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave//bleeding-edge/README

(there is a link to this file from the download page on the Octave web
site).  Although this README file was written for test release of
Octave, it also applies (even more so) to checkouts from CVS made at
random times.  In particular,

  Development releases are [cvs access is] provided for people who
  want to help test, debug, and improve Octave.  Very little testing
  is done before making the development releases and they may even be
  made when Octave is in an inconsistent state.  It is possible that
  you will encounter a very obvious bug, such as failure to compile on
  *any* machine.  It is likely that such bugs will be fixed by the
  next development release, so it really isn't necessary to report
  them unless they persist over more than one release.

and

  Please DO report other bugs in the development releases as soon as
  you find them by sending a message to
  address@hidden

i.e., the help list is not really the right place for reporting these
kinds of problems, even if they persist for several days.

Thanks,

jwe