Re: Problems with installtion

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Problems with installtion
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 17:15:23 +0200

On 10/1/07, Abhishek Khanna <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear Sir
>
>             I ve downloaded the version 2.9.13 for windows from the
> source.forge. I ve also downloaded the various bundles which are not yet
> integrated with the 34.5 MB set up file. However after installation I am
> facing problems. First of  all the space occupied by the installation is
> around 80 MB which is half the space taken by 2.1.73 and the information at
> website says it required around 200 MB. Interface is not the same as that
> for 2.1.73. When the octave is launched I get a view  which is similar to
> the view of MATLAB version 3.0 and it is nowhere same as that in 2.1.73. I
> am unable to launch the editor by using the command "edit' and also unable
> to run any script file composed using any editor ( say note pad ).  I feel
> that I ve some patch lacking in the installation I ve downloaded. I ve
> downloaded the installation file form the following link
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2888

The package you downloaded is a completely different package than 2.1.73
(different compiler, no cygwin...), so you might expect a few differences.
I don't know exactly what was included in the 2.1.73 package, but I think
the major difference in functionality is probably the absence of compiler:
the 2.9.13 package has been compiled with the Microsoft compiler, which
cannot be distributed along with octave (however, it's available for free, as
in beer, on the microsoft web site). But besides that, it comes with a lot
of features: octave, octave-forge, BLAS/LAPACK/ATLAS, 3 graphics
backends (gnuplot, octplot and JHandles), SciTE (text editor)...

Concerning "edit" not working, a problem has been identified recently, see
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2007-September/004104.html
for additional info.

Concerning the impossibility to run a m-script, maybe you should give us
the error message you got along with the context in which you got it,
this would help.

Michael.