Re: gnuplot_x11 driver with octave.app/gnuplot.app on Mac

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: gnuplot_x11 driver with octave.app/gnuplot.app on Mac
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 21:10:58 +0200

Henry F. Mollet schrieb:
Thanks, Tomas;
I've made the suggested changes in gnuplot (in line 56 after "export
GNUPLOT_PS_DIR... fi")  and it works when starting with gnuplot (see below).
I can also switch between AquaTerm and x11 after invoking gnuplot.

However, when starting with octave, I still have the same problem (see
below). I have not yet tried to change __gnuplot_version__.m and/or
drawnow.m.  I have seen additional emails regarding this and have to study
them more carefully to better understand.
Henry

henry-f-mollets-emac:~ hfm$ export GNUTERM=x11
henry-f-mollets-emac:~ hfm$
/Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnu
plot

        G N U P L O T
        Version 4.2 patchlevel 0
        last modified March 2007
        System: Darwin 8.10.0

Terminal type set to 'x11'
gnuplot> plot sin(x)

gnuplot> GNUTERM=aqua
         undefined variable: aqua
gnuplot> set term aqua
Terminal type set to 'aqua'
Options are '0 title "Figure 0" size 846 594 font "Times-Roman,14"
noenhanced so
lid'
gnuplot> plot cos(x)

gnuplot> set term x11
Terminal type set to 'x11'
Options are '0'
gnuplot> plot tan(x)

gnuplot> *********************
henry-f-mollets-emac:~ hfm$ export GNUTERM=x11
henry-f-mollets-emac:~ hfm$
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octa
ve
GNU Octave, version 2.9.13
Copyright (C) 2007 John W. Eaton and others.

octave-2.9.13:1> fplot('cos',[0,2*pi])
# still using AquaTerm

Yes Henry, that's because of Octave.app comes with the sources of the Octave-2.9.13 tarball. Just change the two files of Octave.app as described in my email then it will also work for Octave. Your problem at the moment is that the 'drawnow' function of Octave.app overwrites your GNUTERM environment variable resp. uses its own backend settings...

  Thomas