Re: help!

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: help!
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:30:09 -0400

> Dear Octave Help Team,

Ah, if only such a team existed. :-) The users, the developers, and
the help team are all one and the same, for the most part.

> I am currently trying to analyse mortality data and was
> wondering whether octave was of use.

Based on the highly statistical nature of the questions you posed, you
might be better off using R (and its help team ;-] ) for this problem.
In fact, I'm rather surprised you hadn't hear about R if this is
indeed the case; I was under the impression that it was a de facto
standard in the statistics community:

     http://www.r-project.org

I've never used R myself, but I'll be very surprised if it's unable to
do nonlinear optimisation, at least for the problem you require.

- Jordi G. H.