Can't get define_all_return_values to help with function returns in Octa

From: mrober01
Subject: Can't get define_all_return_values to help with function returns in Octave 2.9.12
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:40:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi.
In Octave 2.9.12 I keep getting an element number 2 undefined in return list
error and have read about defining define_all_return_values to "true" or 1
to fix it.  Actually, it seems that this environment variable is not even
defined in the first place which I think is weird.  Then, after I define it,
nothing changes.  I have tried defining it using putenv and also simply
defining it.  I tried defining it to both 1 and "true" neither makes a
difference (still the same error message); any ideas.  I also tried running
the option, when starting Octave, --traditional which is supposed to set
this variable along with others. It does not seem to set
define_all_return_values, but it does set many of the others.  Maybe in the
later version of Octave the variable define_all_return_values is called
something else?  Also, is there a way I can view all the environment
variables at once.  I am a bit of a beginner at both Octave and Linux so I
do not yet know all the intricacies of stuff like this.

Thanks,
Mike