Re: RS232/Serial Comms

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: RS232/Serial Comms
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 08:12:25 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 28-Oct-2006, Stefan Mahr wrote:
| John W. Eaton schrieb:
| > On 27-Oct-2006, Stefan Mahr wrote:
| >
| > | You are right. Any other solution?
| >
| > The obvious thing is a freely redistributable replacement for the
| > Visa32 library.  But I would guess that you were looking for something
| > that would be easier to do.
| >

| Of course :) Maybe with a server/client structure with comunication over
| a socket?

I'm not a big fan of technical gymnastics to avoid the terms of the
GPL.  However, see

 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation

for more info.

I think there is a distinction between technical gymnastics and
ideas that are somehow reasonable.

In this case a client-server model would actually
provide some very nice advantages - making it possible, for example,
to do remote control of the instruments.

At any rate, a solution to allow octave to do this kind of interfacing
would be really useful, so it is important to have this discussion
about what solutions are reasonable.

--
Andy Adler