Octave slow in Cygwin

From: Ron Crummett
Subject: Octave slow in Cygwin
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 22:23:52 -0700

Hi -

I run a dual-boot machine with XP and Ubuntu breezy. In both instances I run Octave 2.1.73; on Windows, under Cygwin. I have noticed that Octave runs a good bit slower under Cygwin than on Ubuntu. I have also noticed that when I install Octave in Ubuntu (using package repositories) that ATLAS is selected as a dependency; not so in Cygwin. Would this be part of the cause for Octave to run slower in Cygwin? And if so, what can I do to fix it? Thanks.

-Ron