Re: Building Octave for Windows with MinGW

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Building Octave for Windows with MinGW
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 01:14:21 -0400

On  4-Oct-2006, Paul Kienzle wrote:

| On Oct 3, 2006, at 11:37 PM, LUK ShunTim wrote:
| >
| > Does this imply that the mingw build will now use the Windows native
| > gnuplot instead of the one in cygwin, and hence users can get rid of
| > the
| > whole xserver stuff if they simply want to use octave (with plotting)?

With 2.1.x, everything except multiple figures should work because the
figure command requires X11 to be able to displaly multiple windows
using the same instance of gnuplot.

With 2.9.x, you can have full functionality with the Windows version
of gnuplot because each figure window uses a separate gnuplot process.

| Is there any reason the cygwin gnuplot requires X11?

Probably just because it is compiled as a normal Unixy program.

| Perhaps
| you can suggest a patch to the gnuplot packagers so that they
| build the windows terminal and suggest rather require X11.

I think this should be possible since the Windows code should compile
with Cygwin as well as with native Windows, but there may be some
tricks due to conflicting Cygwin vs. Windows branches in the code (I'm
just guessing here, I don't really know).  In any case, someone has to
do the work and submit the changes.

jwe