Re: Building Octave for Windows with MinGW

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Building Octave for Windows with MinGW
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:24:56 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
> Are there instructions for building Octave for Windows with MinGW
> somewhere on the net?  Can it be done using Cygwin tools and passing
> -mno-cygwin to the compilers or do you need to have the MinGW tools
> installed instead?
>
> Thanks,
>
> jwe

Here are the build script and patches I have at about th time of 2.9.4.
Note that atlas build is broken and so should be disabled. I don't use
the cygwin tools at all but rather msys, intended to distribute msys and
the mingw compilers as part of the package...

Many of the packages have newer versions available and so the script
should be updated for the newer versions. Note the scripts is also
pretty nasty, and my goal was to minimize the amount of work I had to do
for a mingw build without too much effort on the build script itself.

All of this was part of the mingw binary I distributed, as I'd hoped
others would use it to develop upn and fix the bugs... I'd also like to
get back to fixing up a package for mingw, but was discouraged by the
atlas issue. If that was addressed, I'd probably attack the NSIS
installer and get something released bugs and all for testing...

D.