Re: whitespace_in_literal_matrix?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: whitespace_in_literal_matrix?
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 12:37:35 -0400

On  9-Jul-2006, Dave Comer wrote:

| Hello John,
|
| I am using 2.1.73. I downloaded the "Test version", and under Fedora
| Core 5, configured, compiled and installed. I found the following
| "Built-in Variable" (per the book) were not listed in the help (I've
| attached the list of built-in variables reported by the version below):
|
| empty_list_elements_ok (p44)
| propagate_empty_matricies (p45)
|
| I also found the following variable had no effect (per my prior message):
|
| whitespace_in_literal_matrix (p41)
|
| These could be a documentation issue (more likely stupid user
| tricks), but thought I'd ask. I had assumed that the compiled version
| would be more targeted, but not necessarily less complete). None of
| this is a big deal, just was curious to make sure I didn't screw something up.

The book is relatively old, so there will be some things that don't
match with the way Octave works now.

Some of the built-in variables turned out to cause more trouble than
they were worth so they were eliminated.  One of these was
whitespace_in_literal_matrix.  The problem is that changing the value
of that variable could cause code to fail (for example, you set it to
"ignore" but the code you are trying to use has expressions like "[1 2]").

There are no built-in variables in 2.9.x, but there are still
functions to get and set the corresponding internal variables so you
can still control things like output formats.

jwe