why is importing script files so slow?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: why is importing script files so slow?
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 18:17:01 -0400

On  9-May-2006, lowerbound wrote:

| I write my data as matrices in a script file (.m), and the matrices are not
| very large (about 256x256). But octave takes nearly 1 minute to load in the
| script file with 3 matrices.

Can you please post a *precise* example that demonstrates the problem
so that someone else might be able to reproduce it?  Without that, the
best anyone can do is guess at an explanation as to why the thing you
are trying to do (whatever it is, since you haven't really told us) is
so slow.

| Is there some way to speed up the loading?

Have you tried using the load command to load data files?

jwe