Fwd: PLplot and Octave

From: Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso
Subject: Fwd: PLplot and Octave
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 17:31:56 -0500

On 5/9/06, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
Why do you say that gnuplot is slightly non-free?  What do you mean by
slightly?

Wow. You've never read its license agreement?

You can't redistribute modified copies of gnuplot. That's basically
the only restriction. So, in our case, it means that if there's
something about gnuplot that doesn't work well with Octave, we need to
wait for the gnuplot folks to fix it, or patch it and put the patch in
a separate place. It's slightly at ends with the four freedoms that
rms defines, although Debian considers this to be free enough to be
included in the free section. I'm not sure how Octave development
proceeds, so I'm not
sure if this has ever become an issue or not.

- Jordi G. H.