When is .octaverc needed?

From: Joe Koski
Subject: When is .octaverc needed?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:53:33 -0600

For the last three years or so I have run, without problems, octave and
octave-forge without the use of a .octaverc file in my home directory. About
the only thing I do is add /usr/local/bin to my terminal and xterm paths.

We just had a couple of cases of reported .oct problems with the
hpc.sourceforge.net binary version of octave-2.1.73 and octave-forge that
was finally traced back to the use of old paths to octave-2.1.71 versions
remaining in .octaverc. Once the .octaverc was updated to 2.1.73, the .oct
problems disappeared. In retrospect, the problem solution appears obvious.

My question: While .octaverc has many uses (set mouse, more off, gset term,
data path, etc.), when is it really required? Should we encourage adding the
octave-forge path to it?

Joe