Re: Fixed

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: Fixed
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 05:26:01 -0800 (PST)

--- David Bateman wrote:

> James R. Phillips wrote:
>
> > --- "Steve C. Thompson" wrote:
> >
> > > Dear group,
> > >
> > > My friend is trying to use the fixed package in octave-forge
> > > under Cygwin.  The version of octave-forge is 2005-06-13-5.  I
> > > have 2005-06-13-1 installed in Kubuntu and fixed is included and
> > > works perfectly.  However, his configuration doesn't include
> > > fixed.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know why fixed isn't included in Cygwin?  Or are we
> > > on the wrong track.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Steve
> > >

> > You are on the right track.  As cygwin packager, I did a quick
> > assessment of
> > which octave-forge packages seemed the most feature-complete,
> > bug-free, and GPL
> > compatible for the first cygwin octave-forge release.  I didn't form a
> > good
> > impression (not for license reasons) of the "fixed" package at the
> > time, so
> > didn't package it.  If there is demand for it, and if users inform me
> > that it
> > is reasonably bug-free, I am willing to reconsider.
> >
> > Jim Phillips
> >
> Jim,
>
> Bug reports please!!! Just saying months after that you excluded a
> package from a distribution without feedback or explanation doesn't aid
> in getting the reasons you excluded it addressed. The fixed-point
> toolbox is my code and I can guarantee you if you send me a bug report I
> will address it...
>
> D.

I can't honestly go back and back-fill work that I didn't do at the time.  I
formed a quick impression, not based on very deep investigation.  I don't
remember in detail what my thinking was, and didn't make a record.  I can
appreciate the pride of ownership, and the disappointment when one's work is
not seriously considered.  All I can offer at this time is that an effort will
be made to correct the oversight for my next cygwin octave-forge release, when
I have the time to make one.

I think I do have a substantiable record of making improvements and correcting
problems.  Hopefully this issue will be corrected too, soon.