Re: Fixed

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Fixed
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:24:10 +0100

James R. Phillips wrote:

--- David Bateman wrote:

> James R. Phillips wrote:
>
> > --- "Steve C. Thompson" wrote:
> >
> > > Dear group,
> > >
> > > My friend is trying to use the fixed package in octave-forge
> > > under Cygwin.  The version of octave-forge is 2005-06-13-5.  I
> > > have 2005-06-13-1 installed in Kubuntu and fixed is included and
> > > works perfectly.  However, his configuration doesn't include
> > > fixed.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know why fixed isn't included in Cygwin?  Or are we
> > > on the wrong track.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Steve
> > >

> > You are on the right track.  As cygwin packager, I did a quick
> > assessment of
> > which octave-forge packages seemed the most feature-complete,
> > bug-free, and GPL
> > compatible for the first cygwin octave-forge release. I didn't form a
> > good
> > impression (not for license reasons) of the "fixed" package at the
> > time, so
> > didn't package it.  If there is demand for it, and if users inform me
> > that it
> > is reasonably bug-free, I am willing to reconsider.
> >
> > Jim Phillips
> >
> Jim,
>
> Bug reports please!!! Just saying months after that you excluded a
> package from a distribution without feedback or explanation doesn't aid
> in getting the reasons you excluded it addressed. The fixed-point
> toolbox is my code and I can guarantee you if you send me a bug report I
> will address it...
>
> D.

I can't honestly go back and back-fill work that I didn't do at the time. I
formed a quick impression, not based on very deep investigation.  I don't
remember in detail what my thinking was, and didn't make a record.  I can
appreciate the pride of ownership, and the disappointment when one's work is not seriously considered. All I can offer at this time is that an effort will be made to correct the oversight for my next cygwin octave-forge release, when
I have the time to make one.

I think I do have a substantiable record of making improvements and correcting
problems.  Hopefully this issue will be corrected too, soon.

Bad day... Note that the fixed point toolbox really pushes the limits of what can be done in oct-files. There really aren't that many examples of external user types, and in fact the fixed point toolbox has 4!! (real scalar, complex scalar, real matrix, complex matrix). The user type concatenation (ie [a,b]) and user type load/save code was basically added to allow the fixed-point toolbox (and galois user type) to do proper concatenation with the same syntax as the rest of octave and load/save its variables. That being the case, its not surprising if it has certain build issues, as the fixedpoint toolbox has generally been the first user type to implement externally the latest functionality in octave itself. I'm therefore not surprised if there are some issues, but would like to see them fixed...

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary