Re: [OctDev] isunix() returns 1 under cygwin

From: Etienne Grossmann
Subject: Re: [OctDev] isunix() returns 1 under cygwin
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:06:49 -0500

  Hi All,

thx for the answeres. In my case, checking
octave_config_info("canonical_host_type") for "win" or "linux" seems
to do what I want.

  Cheers,

  Etienne

On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 08:10:56AM -0600, Quentin Spencer wrote:
# William Poetra Yoga Hadisoeseno wrote:
#
# >On 12/27/05, Andy Adler <address@hidden> wrote:
# >
# >
# >>The semantics of 'isunix' depends on what you mean by UNIX.
# >>Strictly speaking, only certain well defined OSes are UNIX. Linux,
# >>for example, is not.
# >>
# >>On the other hand, maybe UNIX means OSes that behave like
# >>UNIX in most ways. cygwin has UNIX process semantics
# >>(ie. fork) and file semantics (symlinks, select on files, etc.)
# >>
# >>So, is cygwin UNIX? Clearly, a mingwin octave is not unix.
# >>
# >>Maybe isunix should make a specific test.
# >>
# >>
# >>
# >
# >In Octave 2.9.4, isunix() is implemented as
# >
# >function retval = isunix ()
# >
# > if (nargin == 0)
# >   retval = octave_config_info ("unix");
# > else
# >   usage ("isunix ()");
# > endif
# >
# >endfunction
# >
# >AFAIK, it returns 1 on Cygwin (I know this by reading the sources, so
# >I'm not very sure)
# >
# >
# >
#
#
# If you look at the contents of octave_config_info, I think there are
# other things you could use to extract the system type. On my linux box,
# I see "unix = 1" and "windows = 0". I'm guessing that under cygwin you
# get "unix = 1" and "windows = 1", so maybe testing
# octave_config_info("windows") will always give you the correct answer
# whether octave was built in cygwin or mingw. If all else fails, you
# could try parsing octave_config_info("canonical_host_type"), which
# usually contains "linux" on linux systems and "cygwin" (if I remember
# correctly) on cygwin.
#
# -Quentin
#