xmlread command format

From: Chris Fearing
Subject: xmlread command format
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 14:51:18 -0600

I am attempting to use the xmlwrite and read functions....

the xmlwrite works fine, and generates a valid xml file,
however, I cannot get the syntax of xmlread correct.

The documentation says the format is

VALUE xmlread(FILENAME)

however, any placement of a variable before
the xmlread statement results in a syntax error.

I have also tried setting a variable=xmlread(FILENAME)
this results in

Invalid XML (state 1): Unexpected character 'c' in prolog.

 I have even had problems with this error reporting an unexpected
character that is not in the input xml file

any sample code of how to use the octave function xmlread would be greatly
appreciated