RE: Creating RPM for octave

From: Hall, Benjamin
Subject: RE: Creating RPM for octave
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:37:55 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Quentin Spencer [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 1:27 PM
To: Hall, Benjamin
Cc: 'address@hidden'

Hall, Benjamin wrote:

>I'd like an RPM for octave-2.9.3 that I could distribute to some machines
>running various (new) versions of SuSE.  It doesn't appear that any
>currently exist (if I'm wrong, I'd be happy), so it looks like I'll have to
>generate one (for each version I presume).
>
>I've technically created an RPM package using checkinstall, but I was
unable
>to use rpm to uninstall it, so it looks like I may have to try to do it the
>right way.  Can anyone offer some suggestions?
>
>It looks like the "spec" file is the key?  Would it be possible (and
useful)
>to use a spec file for a different distribution with potentially a few
>tweaks?  Or should I really start from scratch?
>
>If anyone who has been through this process have some suggestions or hints
>I'd appreciate it!

There is an RPM for 2.9.3 in the development branch of Fedora Extras. I
would suggest getting the SRPM at
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/development/SRPMS/
octave-2.9.3-6.fc5.src.rpm.
The first thing you could try is just rebuilding it for SuSE using
rpmbuild --rebuild and see what happens. However, I suspect it will fail
because of missing dependencies. You'll need glpk and ufsparse to begin
with. SRPMS for those can be found in the same directory of the Fedora
Extras mirrors. If you don't need those features and don't want to worry
about the extra dependencies, you could edit the spec file file
appropriately to remove the dependencies. Otherwise, I suspect that
building with that spec file should work with maybe minor modifications.
Go ahead and try it and report any errors you can't get around.

Does SuSE have anything equivalent to Fedora Extras or Mandrake Cooker?
SuSE now seems to be the one major distribution that is really lacking
in support for octave. Having a good source for octave RPMS for SuSE
would be helpful to others I'm sure.

-Quentin

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.  (I'll also take Javier's
advice and poke at the openSuSE folks...)