Creating RPM for octave

From: Hall, Benjamin
Subject: Creating RPM for octave
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:57:44 -0400

I'd like an RPM for octave-2.9.3 that I could distribute to some machines
running various (new) versions of SuSE.  It doesn't appear that any
currently exist (if I'm wrong, I'd be happy), so it looks like I'll have to
generate one (for each version I presume).

I've technically created an RPM package using checkinstall, but I was unable
to use rpm to uninstall it, so it looks like I may have to try to do it the
right way.  Can anyone offer some suggestions?

It looks like the "spec" file is the key?  Would it be possible (and useful)
to use a spec file for a different distribution with potentially a few
tweaks?  Or should I really start from scratch?

If anyone who has been through this process have some suggestions or hints
I'd appreciate it!

Thanks
Ben