Re: making movie from eps files

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: making movie from eps files
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:28:27 -0600

on 10/24/05 1:58 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov at address@hidden wrote:

> Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>> I have what I think is a good method for producing a movie (an .avi
>> file) from Octave produced graphs/images.  First, you will want to
>> convert your .eps files to an image format (.png or .jpg); you can use
>> "convert" from ImageMagick.  Then you can use mencode (part of mplayer)
>> to sequence the images into a movie.
>
> I tried mencode some time ago. The resulting file would play nicely
> in mplayer, but no any other program I tried on Mac or Windows would
> play it at all...
>
> Dmitri.

There are also a Mac versions of mplayer and mencode available under the
ffmpegX umbrella, a Mac alternative to ffmpeg. I've had mixed success
playing various formats and converting the formats on my Mac, but mplayer
seems to be more flexible than Apple's QuickTime application in playing
different formats. My understanding is that a QuickTime player is available
for Windows, but not for Linux. ImageMagick and its command line interface
is so flexible as to be totally confusing to me.

Joe