Re: How do I install Octave on Mac OS X?

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: How do I install Octave on Mac OS X?
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 11:21:15 -0600

Malte,

First you need the Xcode tools that come on the Mac OS X DVD, but aren't
normally installed. Those include a C compiler, linker, loader, etc. Look
for a .pkg file. While you're at it look for X11, which can be handy at
times, also.

Then you can do the Fink install, or, if you prefer, take a look at
http://hpc.sourceforge.net/ for some octave binaries and instructions that I
personally find easier to install than Fink (others will disagree). You'll
also need gnuplot 4.0 for graphics, and having AquaTerm allows you to run
octave without X11 graphics. Links for gnuplot and AquaTerm are on the HPC
website also. Try not to mix Fink and HPC installs. That gets confusing.

Good luck! Ask if you have questions.

Joe

on 10/23/05 10:55 AM, Malte Köster at address@hidden