Re: octave to matlab conversion

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: octave to matlab conversion
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 19:23:55 -0600

on 10/7/05 6:12 PM, Ben Barrowes at address@hidden wrote:

> Right. But my goal would be allow the user to put an octave-style m-file
> in , and get an ML style m-file out; clean and simple. I thought it
> would be presumptuous (and possible a source of bugs? the user may have
> a columns.m that does something else) to create a comumns.m or other
> files in the users current directory.
>
> I have made a small prototype by reusing the skeleton of f2matlab. I
> will compare its performance to oct2mat.
>
> bb

Having converted a few MATLAB .m files to octave, I have to say that the
person who wants a perfect, instant converter is a bit lazy. It's not that
difficult after you understand a few rules, mostly having to do with the use
of gnuplot for graphics. Octave is very good at telling you which line to
modify to make things work. I have only limited experience with MATLAB, so I
can't say if MATLAB is equally friendly for conversions.

My opinion is that the perfect mat2oct or oct2mat converter (other than a
knowledgeable human) will never exist because of major differences between
the MATLAB toolboxes and octave-forge. There will never be a good one-to-one
equivalency. Both collections will continue to have their strengths and
weaknesses.

One powerful advantage of octave not mentioned is the possibility of
modifying generally available (but not copyrighted for MATLAB) MATLAB
scripts for use with octave. I have at least three packages on my computer
that are in that category, and that I use almost every day.

Joe