Re: octave to matlab conversion

From: Tom Holroyd
Subject: Re: octave to matlab conversion
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 19:06:27 -0400

Ron Crummett wrote:
It probably is a shame that price is a driving force in motivating many people

Personally, it's not so much the money (I'm at NIH), it's the draconian license manager. I had a long run fail once because somebody else checked out the stats toolbox at an inopportune moment, for example.

Worse, I routinely use the large Beowulf cluster here (called Biowulf, ha ha), and there are only 8 matlab licenses for 2000 nodes (and only 5 for stats). Of course, one can throw money at this problem, but that's totally insane.

Octave, I can run anywhere, anytime.

--
Dr. Tom Holroyd
"A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are volitional and