Re: Starting Octave on Macintosh

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Starting Octave on Macintosh
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:32:52 -0600

Allan,

The usual place for .m files is in the local directory where you are
working. Octave looks there first for .m files, then along the path. If you
have a library of functions that you use often, yes, then you can put them
in /usr/local.

You can do an ls from within octave to see what's available. To start octave
type octave in a terminal window.

Since you use terminal to run octave, that's also the way to look around the
/usr area. You'll need some rudimentary UNIX knowledge (ls, cd, cp, mv,
sudo, etc.)  to work there. There are some ways of making those files
visible in the finder, but that's not the easy fix. They're hidden for
several reasons including the fact that they're mostly write protected, and
it's easy to shoot yourself in the foot when working in that area.

To star a script, just type the script name (without the .m) after starting
octave in terminal. You'll see the octave prompt.

I suggest getting an octave manual. They're available in paperback, and not
too expensive.

Good luck.

Joe

on 7/10/05 7:31 AM, address@hidden at address@hidden