problems installing octave-forge on Altix machine (64 bit)

From: Michael Baginski
Subject: problems installing octave-forge on Altix machine (64 bit)
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:19:24 -0500

Hello Octave help users-groups,

In the last several weeks I have been working with my associates at the Alabama Super Computer Center trying to get the Octave-Forge packages to install correctly on a Altix machine (64 bit processor). They have had some success but continue to have difficulty getting all the installation packages to operate correctly (especially the sparse solver). If anyone has prior experience with Altix machines your help would be greatly appreciated. I have included the build logs and attached the notes from the person I’ve been working with (Charles Wright). If possible could you please respond to both of us (Hurricane Dennis has caused the internet connection to be unreliable where I’m located).

Sincerely,

Mike

The attached message from Charles Wright:

Michael E. Baginski, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Electrical and Comp. Engineering
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Room 423 Broun Hall
Auburn University
Auburn, Alabama
36849
e-mail: address@hidden
phone: 334-844-1800

Mike,
    Attached are my notes on 9.2.3.  I don't have the build log for the other version.

Can you get me compile notes from whoever has this working on the Altix?   I've tried
everything I can think of.

If you find someone willing to help I can set them up an account on the altix so they can
compile it on our machine.   They can take my attached notes and generate the build logs
in their home directory.

I tried the beta 9.2.3 version the developer recommended, can't seemed to make it happy
with umfpack.  (probably has to do with the immature beta state)

I did get umfpack to compile however octave 9.2.3 gives this.

LC_ALL=POSIX
export LC_ALL
LDFLAGS="-L/opt/asn/lib" \
CFLAGS="-fPIC -I/opt/asn/include" \
FFLAGS="-I/opt/asn/include" \
CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/asn/include" \
CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/asn/include" \
./configure --enable-dl --enable-shared=yes --enable-rpath --enable-lite-kernel
--enable-picky-flags --enable-static=no --with-g77 --prefix=/opt/asn/apps/octave-2.9.3

(I had to create /opt/asn/include/umfpack for it to find the header files but still got
this...  Maybe a bug in the configure script.)

checking umfpack/umfpack.h usability... yes
checking umfpack/umfpack.h presence... yes
checking for umfpack/umfpack.h... yes
checking for amd_postorder in -lamd... yes
checking for umfpack_zi_get_determinant in -lumfpack... no
checking for umfpack_zi_get_determinant in -lumfpack... no
checking for umfpack_zi_get_determinant in -lumfpack... no
./configure: line 13119: ,: command not found

Here's the make file for UMFPACK that I used.  UMFPACK was painful as well and I'm not
sure this is 64 bit...

Demos were segfaulting with the 64bit version of scsl

address@hidden Make]# cat Make.linux
# Linux configuration (for both AMD and UMFPACK)

# You may also need to add -lunwind -lcprts to the LIB= string,
# if you use the Intel compiler and the Fortran BLAS.

# Using GNU gcc and f77 compilers:
#  CC = gcc
#  CFLAGS = -O2 -fPIC -DLP64
#  F77FLAGS = -64

# Using Intel's icc and ifc compilers:
F77 = ifort
CC = icc
CFLAGS = -ansi -O2
#CFLAGS = -pg -g

# Using gcc compiler with picky tests
# CC = gcc
# CFLAGS = -ansi -pedantic -W -Wall -Wno-parentheses -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Winline
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-unknown-pragmas -O3 -fPIC

# for gcc and gcov:
# CC = gcc
# CFLAGS = -pg -ftest-coverage -fprofile-arcs

# Running splint
# CC = - splint
# CFLAGS = -weak -fixedformalarray -badflag -fileextensions +relaxtypes +posixlib -unrecog

# BLAS options (for UMFPACK only)

# 1: with no BLAS (this will be slow)
# CONFIG = -DNBLAS
# LIB = -lm

# 2: with the ATLAS C-BLAS (http://www.netlib.org/atlas).
# CONFIG = -DCBLAS -I../ATLAS/include
# LIB = -lcblas -latlas -lm

# 3: with Fortran interface to the ATLAS BLAS
# CONFIG =
# LIB = -lf77blas -latlas -lfrtbegin -lg2c -lm

# 4: with Fortran interface to the BLAS, and Goto's BLAS
#  CONFIG =
#  LIB = -lgoto -lxerbla -lfrtbegin -lg2c -lm

# 5: with Fortran interface to the BLAS, and Goto's BLAS, and no divide-by-zero
# CONFIG = -DNO_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO
# LIB = -lgoto -lxerbla -lfrtbegin -lg2c -lm

#6: Altix 350 scsl
CONFIG = -DCBLAS
LIB = -lscs -lm

--

Charles Wright, HPC Systems Administrator
Alabama Research and Education Network