Re: octave & octave-forge install instructions for Mac OS X 10.4.x

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: octave & octave-forge install instructions for Mac OS X 10.4.x
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 07:41:41 -0700

David,
Installation of octave was successful but not gnuplot. I have the following
questions and comments.
Henry

1. I installed gnuplot out of order after gfortran instead of after
readline. I thought it would not matter because gnuplot is a stand-alone
application. Apparently it does matter or it was something else that caused
the problem. I cannot provide more details because I did not save the
terminal output during installation. So much was "flying" by in the terminal
that I don't know if a particular package was installed correctly or not. I
was waiting for the prompt to re-appear and then installed the next package.
According to my notes installation of gnuplot took less than 1 minute but
this was the same for all packages.

2. Apparently the installation has to be done in "one go" because when I
tried to re-install gnuplot the next day it failed with errors from the
beginning to the end in the terminal output. After the computer had been
turned off all the packages in /tmp had disappeared and I had unzipped the
gnuplot tar ball again and put it into /tmp. However, all the dependency
packages were missing and therefore installation could not succeeed?

3. Dependencies for gnuplot are aquaterm, gd, libpng, PDFlib-lite, readline,
zlib and X11. I assume that X11 is not need if I'm planning to use aquaterm?
The other ones need to be present in /tmp before installing gnuplot?

4. When installing aquaterm, I had two options: a tarball and a dmg. I used
the dmp and aquaterm was successfully installed in /Applications. Should I
have used the tarball because during installation of gnuplot, aquaterm was
not present in /tmp?

5. What would be best to try next?