Re: octave & octave-forge install instructions for Mac OS X 10.4.x

From: Marius Schamschula
Subject: Re: octave & octave-forge install instructions for Mac OS X 10.4.x
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 18:51:48 -0500

On Jul 1, 2005, at 6:16 PM, Henry F. Mollet wrote:

Replies/questions inserted. Trying to clarify. Thanks.
Henry

on 7/1/05 12:35 PM, Marius Schamschula at address@hidden wrote:

Order does matter, at least when installing using "make install." I'm
in the process of building a version of octave/octave-forge that
installs using Apple's installer app. Then the order will not matter.

I'm looking forward to an easier installation.

Don't hold your breath. I'm currently re-compiling the whole thing for a third time. Why? I have yet to find a FORTRAN compiler that will cleanly build all of octave/octave-forge and the dependancies under Mac OS X 10.4.x. gfortran 4.0.0 is still broken, i.e. the octave compile itself fails. Swarm's g77 built against gcc 4.0, still seems the best bet, but requires a bit of care in installing: It comes with a complete version of gcc 4.0, which is older and more buggy than Apple's Xcode gcc 4.0 release. Thus one has to install Xcode 2.0, Swarm gcc 4.0, Xcode 2.1 (or install Swarm gcc 4.0 over the current install and reinstall Xcode 2.1). GiNaC will build, but it will not link into octave-forge. This time I'm trying Apple's gcc 3.3 together with hpc's g77 3.4, the same combination I successfully used for Mac OS X 10.3.x. A number of packages fail here PDFlib-Lite so far (gnuplot dependancy). Currently building lam...

It depends on what revision of gnuplot. However, all my gnuplot
packages, even the newest ones that default to Aquaterm, are compiled
against X11, and thus expect X11 and the X11 SDK to be present. There
some things that X11 will do that Aquaterm can't so far. You'll need
X11 anyway, if you want to install octave-forge.

I want octave-forge, I thought it was installed. How do I test for it?
I therefore will have to install X11. Perhaps easier to wait a little until
the Apple's installer app becomes available?

qhull requires X11.

How far did you get? What is the install script saying?

Is the install script what appears in the Terminal window during
installation? I followed the directions in David Collett's write-up with the exception of gnuplot which was installed after gfortran instead of after readline. I thought I would not mater and I got to the very end and saved
that part:

Installation complete.
To use, add the following to .octaverc:
   LOADPATH = [
'/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/oct/powerpc-apple-darwin8.1.0/ octave- forge:/usr/local/share/octave/2.1.71/site/m/octave-forge//:', LOADPATH ];
   EXEC_PATH = [
'/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/exec/powerpc-apple- darwin8.1.0:',
EXEC_PATH ];

To uninstall, remove the following:
   MPATH    = /usr/local/share/octave/2.1.71/site/m/octave-forge
   OPATH    =
/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/oct/powerpc-apple-darwin8.1.0/ octave-f
orge
   XPATH    =
/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/exec/powerpc-apple-darwin8.1.0
   ALTMPATH =
/usr/local/share/octave/2.1.71/site/octave-forge-alternatives/m
   ALTOPATH =
/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/octave-forge-alternatives/oct/ powerpc-
apple-darwin8.1.0

Some FIXES may be out of date.  Check the scripts in:
   /usr/local/share/octave/2.1.71/site/m/octave-forge/FIXES

/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/oct/powerpc-apple-darwin8.1.0/ octave-f
orge
against those in your version of Octave.

That's why I thought Octave-forge had been installed. I did not know that I
needed X11 for Octave-forge.

I also *assumed* that gnuplot had been installed but it was *not*. Octave
could not find it and it was not in /usr/local/bin.

As explained by you it did not matter if the dependencies were in the /tmp directory as long as they were in the /usr/local directory. Therefore I've
unsuccessfully tried to re-install gnuplot two more times.

Perhaps what I had was a corrupted tarball because after downloading a new
tarball gnuplot-4.0.0-5-osx4.tar, I was able to install it successfully
because I got:
henry-f-mollets-emac:/usr/local/bin hfm$ /usr/local/bin/gnuplot

        G N U P L O T
        Version 4.0 patchlevel 0
        last modified Thu Apr 15 14:44:22 CEST 2004
        System: Darwin 8.1.0

Terminal type set to 'unknown'
gnuplot> set term aqua
Terminal type set to 'aqua'
Options are '0 title 'Figure 0' size 846 594 fname 'Times-Roman' fsize 14'
gnuplot> set term X11
Terminal type set to 'X11'
Options are '0'
gnuplot> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/libexec/gnuplot/4.0/gnuplot_x11
  Reason: image not found

Looking for X11...

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula                               Webmaster

        The Huntsville Macintosh Users Group
                    www.hmug.org

webmaster at hmug dot org    marius at schamschula dot com