origin of the index syntax

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: origin of the index syntax
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:20:26 +0200

Dear Octave users,

does anyone know where the index expression syntax used in Octave comes
from?  Is the Matlab people who invented it?  Or else it is older?  Was
it just the evolution of something in common usage?

I would like to know because, in a program we are planning to write, we
will very likely use the same index expression syntax as Octave's, and
we would like to find a proper name to describe it.

Greetings,

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 313 8091