Re: LOADPATH and file loading problems

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: Re: LOADPATH and file loading problems
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:24:13 -0800

also running 2.1.50a binary on Win98

have experienced similar, but transitory.

I wrote the .m program, ran the program.  I didn't like it,
changed it, and ran it again, BUT! octave ran the "old"
previously compiled version and did not regard that I had
modified the program.  So, went back and changed only a
space, saved the program, and now octave ran the newer
version.  Never figured out exactly why, but may be because
I typed so fast that the date/time stamp stayed the same.
 I assumed octave looked at date/time stamp, not whether
the program had been modified.  So my work around has been
to just slow down.

Also, there's a command line that causes octave to not
check whether you modifed the program - very useful for
multiple function calls where octave checks EACH time
whether you changed the program - that could eat up a lot
of time.

Sorry, can't find the command, or where I saved the email
from John Eaton!  but ask the question directly to the
group to get an answer.

Also, one time I had the same name program and didn't know
it.  The two programs started out identical, but I kept
changing the wrong one, very confusing for a while.

Don't use LOADPATH, but after invoking octave, I just go to
to the directory I want to work in by typing...

>> cdwork

and cdwork is cdwork.m with the cd command and echo of what
that directory is stored in the main ..\octave_files
directory.

and cdwork.m looks like...

% Changes working directory to
Directry="C:/AAA/DATA14/Run02"
cd C:\AAA\DATA14\Run02

for example.

               - Robert -

PS  Directry is not mispelled.  It's just a carry over from
the old 8 character name limit days.

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:27:37 +1000
 SITI HAJAR A BAKAR