What does imagesc.m need?

From: Joe Koski
Subject: What does imagesc.m need?
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:05:59 -0700

I'm trying to get image.m and imagesc.m working on my Mac OS X 10.2.8 with
octave 2.1.50 installed, and with all the compatible octave-forge routines
available, but not in the right place for easy access. I drag the
octave-forge routines that I need to the necessary folder. I have the MacOSX
versions of figure.m and image.m local to the other .m routines, and
figure.m seems to work OK.

When I try to use imagesc.m, I get only a blank window, and no plot. In
looking at image.m, I see lines like the following:

  ## Start the viewer.  Try xv, then xloadimage.

  xv = sprintf ("xv -expand %f %s", zoom, ppm_name);

  xloadimage = sprintf ("xloadimage -zoom %f %s", zoom*100, ppm_name);

  ## ImageMagick:
  im_display = sprintf ("display -geometry %f%% %s", zoom*100, ppm_name);

  ## MacOSX:
  mac = sprintf("convert -geometry %f%% %s %s.tiff;open %s.tiff", zoom*100,
ppm_name,ppm_name,ppm_name);

I can't find routines like xv and xloadimage in any obvious places. The
routine convert is located in /sw/bin.

What routines am I missing? Where do I get and place them? I tried
installing imagemagick from Fink, but that didn't seem to help.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Joe Koski