Re: Interaction between figure() and hold() in 2.1.50

From: Glenn Golden
Subject: Re: Interaction between figure() and hold() in 2.1.50
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:06:43 -0700

"Henry F. Mollet" writes:
> I've extracted the following from a long script and edited. It which should
> produce two windows titles Figure 100 and Figure 102 with two overlayed
> plots in each. I don't know if using figure (n) instead of gset term aqua
> (n) allows the sequence that you're trying to use.
> Henry
>
> gset term aqua (100)
> plot (something)
> hold on
> plot (something else)
> hold off
>
> gset term aqua (101)
> plot (something(
> hold on
> plot (something else)
> hold off

Using figure(n) instead of gset term ___ n behaves identically to what
you have above, and both work fine.  Unfortunately, that's not what I'm
trying to do, I wish it were.

What I need to do is alternate between two figures, plotting first
in one, then in the other, and having them both "hold" the prior
plots. (The reason for this is that I'm generating these plots
dynamically, with each iteration thru the program generating two
datasets and overwriting the previous ones.  In order to monitor the
progress of the program, what I want to be able to do is to plot
both datasets (in separate windows) at the end of each iteration,
then plot the next pair at the end of the next iteration, and so on.)

"Thorsten Meyer" writes:

> as far as I know, gnuplot can redirect the plot output into different
> windows but gnuplot cannot really handle more than one plot at the same
> time. It can only redirect its output to different windows. The octave
> hold feature is realized using the gnuplot command replot which repeats
> the previous plot and adds a new plot on top.
>
> If this is no longer valid, I would be very much interested in the
> solution to your problem.

OK, I'm going to play around based on what you've said above, thanks.
If I can get something working, I'll post it to the list.

Thanks!

Glenn