Re: bivariate linear Regression with correlated errors

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: bivariate linear Regression with correlated errors
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:21:51 -0800

I assume that wpolyfit.m does what is called a y-on-x regression with all
the error associated with y and none with x. If both y and x have errors,
then I usually use a geometrical mean (GM) regression, where the diagonal
distance rather than the vertical distance to the line is minimized. (The GM
regression is the geometrical mean between the y on x and the corresponding
x on y regressions.) I would check for a start:
Ricker, W. E. 1973.  Linear regression in fishery research.  Journal of the
Fisheries Research Board of Canada 30: 409-434.

However, the use of a GM regression than been criticized but I cannot find
the relevant references w.r.t. linear regression. The same problem also
appears in for non-linear regression and was discussed in:
Kimura, D. K. 2000. Using nonlinear functional relationship regression to
fit fishery models.  Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci 57, 160-170.

This will lead to Kendall and Stuart (1977) The Advanced Theory of
Statistics, MacMillan Publ. Co. Inc. Vol.2
Chapter 28 The general Theory of Regression and
Chapter 29 Functional and Structural Relationships
where I got stuck. At the time (of getting stuck), I did not know about
Octave. Who knows, next time I look at Kimura (2002), I might be able to
program what I need using Octave.
Good luck, Henry