Resolved - build failure of octave-2.1.5x under Cygwin

From: Paul Thomas
Subject: Resolved - build failure of octave-2.1.5x under Cygwin
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:52:01 +0100

Many thanks to Geraint Bevan, David Billinghurst and Paul Kienzle for help on dealing with the problem. Paul came up with the solution:

"Try modifying the SH_LDFLAGS line in octave/Makeconf to be:

SH_LDFLAGS = -shared -Wl,--export-all-symbols,--enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc,--enable-auto-image-base

I'm not sure the --enable-auto-image-base does anything.  It was an attempt
to address problems with fork, but my eventual solution was to not use
fork.  I don't think --enable-auto-import is necessary either.  But you
might need to add it later.

According to my ld man page, --enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc is the
default.  I'm using:

        $ ld -v
        GNU ld version 2.13.90 20030308"

In fact, following the man entry for LD, this was the first thing that I tried. However, I went and modified the Makeconf BEFORE running configure. Duuuh!

My ld is the version of 20031129 and --disable-runtime-pseudo-reloc is the default!

Still stranger is that in desperation last night, I downloaded Cygwin and octave-2.1.53 to a pristine PC. The build of octave worked a treat without Paul's fix. The differences? Well the failed system is Windows 2000 and Cygwin is loaded with X and KDE desktop. The good system is Windows 98 without X or KDE. I will investigate further.....

Paul Thomas