Datablocks, gnuplot "every", plot using row identifier?

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Datablocks, gnuplot "every", plot using row identifier?
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:49:29 -0800

I'd like to plot two column vectors (or could be a column vector "against"
a number of columns in a matrix) and use an identifier for the selection of
different symbols and/or colors in different datablocks. For example, first
10 row datapoint to be red (according to ID = 1), next 10 rows datapoints to
be blue (according to ID = 2) etc.

In gnuplot, I believe this could be accomplished using "every":
plot 'file' every :::0::0 (data in block 1)
replot
plot 'file' every :::1::1 (data in block 2)
When I tried "every' in octave I did not work but it works in gnuplot.
(In gnuplot blocks are separated by blank records which octave doesn't
allow?)

In Octave, if I use
plot (myColVector ,MyMatrixWithSay3Cols)
then I'll get 3 curves with 3 different colors by default.
What I need is 3 different colors when I use
Plot (myColVector1, myColVector2, "ColorAccToIDorBlock')
where the two colVectors are somehow divided up into datablocks or labeled
by a identifer (could be color identifier, 1 for red, 2 for green, 3 for
blue).

How do I do this. Sorry for not being able to better describe it.
Henry