64-bit ints for array indexing

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: 64-bit ints for array indexing
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:35:01 -0600

On  2-Feb-2004, Luke Sjulson <address@hidden> wrote:

| I'm running octave 2.1.52 in 64-bit mode on an opteron running linux,
| and I ran into the limitation of not being able to work with arrays
| containing more than 2^31 elements, which is apparently because octave
| uses 32 bit ints for array indexing.  There was a simple workaround,
| but I was wondering: has anyone compiled a version of octave that uses
| long ints for array indexing?

I can't be sure, but my guess is probably not.

| Which files would I have to be modified?

Probably nearly every file that does indexing on Array objects.

|   Are there any plans to incorporate this into future releases of
| octave?

Yes, but it will probably take some time.  Of course, it might happen
sooner if other people help.  If you are interested in helping with
these changes, please get in touch with me, or discuss your ideas on
the octave-maintainers list.

Thanks,

jwe