matlab and octave

From: A. S. Budden
Subject: matlab and octave
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:17:25 +0000

Hi there,

I use both octave and matlab a lot -- octave on my laptop and matlab on
the university machines.  Is there any way of adding lines into a .m
file such that either matlab or octave (mainly the former) will ignore
the command.  For example, I have a file with the line replot --
this seems to be required in octave to update the gnuplot window.
However, matlab generates an error message if I run it there.  I realise
I could make a function called replot that does nothing in matlab and
put it in a central store, but this could get messy if there are a lot
of functions that are required.

Also, I've found that the axis command doesn't seem to work very well in
octave.  In my .m file I have a function plot_ab (at the end of this
email).  The line ax=axis returns [-1.8131 1.3346 -0.9580 1.5246] in
matlab and the plot virtually fills the window.  In octave, ax=axis
returns [-10 10 -10 10] and the plot is only about 1/10 the size of the
window.

Can anyone offer any suggestions with either of these problems?

Many thanks in advance,

Al

function plot_ab(parametera, parameterb);
% Plot first parameter against second parameter with fixed axis
% for i=1:size(parametera,1)

for i=1:size(parametera,1),
        plot(parametera(i,:), parameterb(i,:), 'b-', 0,0,'bx');
        if ( i==1 )
                axis('equal');
                replot;
                % Add 50% on to each axis and remember