Re: matlab and octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: matlab and octave
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:02:25 +0100

According to Geraint Paul Bevan <address@hidden> (on 11/18/03):

> David Bateman wrote:
>
> | Is there something else that can even parse dot-m files than Matlab and
> | Octave? Why can't we just assume if its not octave, its matlab.
>
> There are some other tools listed at
> http://www.mathtools.net/MATLAB/Interpreters/index.html
>
> I'm sure there are others and more will appear in the future no doubt.

The only serious contenter other than Matlab and Octave on this page is
Scilab which isn't compatiable. MathView's last version was in '98 so
we can assume it is dead, Minimat is even older (it recommends CGA
graphics!!!!). So there really is only Matlab and Octave left that
parse dot-m files.

I don't really see another tool becoming available to parse dot-m file.

> | Why do we need Mathworks consent in this case, unless they create an
> | inbuilt variable OCTAVE_VERSION just to annoy octave users.
>
> We don't *need* their consent, but a standard way of determining what
> program is running could make it easier to port scripts between tools,
> thus expanding the capabilities of everyone who uses any of them.

But as there are only two products, a simple test for one of them is
sufficient. Even if another tool becomes available it will almost certainly
have an easy way to test if you are using it for the same compatiability
reason as Octave. So if the default is to assume matlab, then something
like

if (exist('OCTAVE_VERSION'))
  # Octave code
elseif (foobar_test)
  # foobar code
else
  # Matlab
end

will always work. I know I sound a bit confrontational, but I really can't
see the interest in trying to contact MathWorks for the change you propose.
It'll suck up the time of the person doing it, for little benefit.

Cheers
David

Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary