Cell Arrays

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Cell Arrays
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:44:08 -0500

On 16-Jul-2003, Andrew Straw <address@hidden> wrote:

|       I am having problems defining a cell array. I see from the Octave
| manual that cell arrays do exist. I am running Octave 2.1.36 and are trying
| to define a cell array using Matlab syntax:
|
| >> a(1,1) = {[1 2 3;4 5 6; 7 8 9]}
| >> a(1,2) ... etc.
|
| I then get the following error messages:
|
| error: range error
| error: evaluating assignment expression near line 1, column 7
|
| Are cell arrays supported in Octave in the same way as Matlab?
| How do you define a cell array in Octave, the correct syntax would be
| helpful?

The method you show seems to work in 2.1.50.  Support for cell arrays
is a relatively recent addition, so you probably want to use a newer
version of Octave.  Even then, there are some things that will work in
Matlab that do not work in Octave.  If you want things to improve,
consider contributing (code, time, funding).

Thanks,

jwe