Re: Save-load problem

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Save-load problem
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:17:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Francesco Potorti` wrote:

> In fact, the "correct" way is what John Eaton suggested, that is, do
>   a=[0:pi/16:8*pi];
> instead of
>   a=0:pi/16:8*pi;
>
> The former is a vector, the latter is a range.

Until this discussion came up, I wasn't aware of the range type...

octave:1> x=1:10;
octave:2> y=[x];
octave:3> z=[1:10];
octave:4> whos

*** local user variables:

prot  type               rows   cols  name
 wd   range                 1     10  x
 wd   matrix                1     10  y
 wd   matrix                1     10  z

I think it makes sense to at least warn users in "help save" about the way
that ranges can get messed up in default saves.

Mike