Re: Save-load problem

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: Save-load problem
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:52:36 +0200

>Four work-around solutions were provided:
>1) save -float-binary session3.mat
>2) Add default_save_format="ascii"; to ~/.octaverc
>3) a(1)=a(1)            <- the trick
>4) save_precision = 16

In fact, the "correct" way is what John Eaton suggested, that is, do
  a=[0:pi/16:8*pi];
instead of
  a=0:pi/16:8*pi;

The former is a vector, the latter is a range.  This is fairly intuitive
once you have read the docs.  In fact, I only use the latter form when
using a "for" loop, never whan working with vectors, which are
represented by [].

In short, I think that the way Octave currently works is correct and
documented: if you want a vector, use [].  Maybe this last statement
should be made explicit in the manual, possibly in various places.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 313 8091