Announce: KDE front-end to math/CAS packages

From: Ravikiran Rajagopal
Subject: Announce: KDE front-end to math/CAS packages
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:21:43 -0600

Hello all,
  I am pleased to announce the first public release of Frontman, a front-end
to popular interactive mathematics & computer algebra systems. It does not
have a webpage yet (see below), but can be downloaded from:
  http://www.eleceng.ohio-state.edu/~ravi/frontman-0.3.tar.gz
Screenshots at:
  http://www.eleceng.ohio-state.edu/~ravi/octave.png
  http://www.eleceng.ohio-state.edu/~ravi/singular.png
  http://www.eleceng.ohio-state.edu/~ravi/yacas.png

  I know "Frontman" is a yucky name. So, please send me suggestions for a new
name (in private email). Once I have a nice name for the application, I will
put up a webpage for it. Here is a brief description of the package:

Frontman is a graphical front-end to popular mathematical & computer
algebra systems. It also provides transparent process invocation on other
hosts using SSH.

Packages currently supported:
-----------------------------
Octave    - http://www.octave.org
Macaulay2 - http://www.math.uiuc.edu/Macaulay2
Singular  - http://www.singular.uni-kl.de
Yacas     - http://yacas.sourceforge.net

Notes:
  Support for CoCoA (http://cocoa.dima.unige.it) is possible (code has
been writeen & tested), but is not included in this release because of
possible licensing issues (CoCoA source is not available).
  Adding support for other languages is essentially trivial. Please let me
know about your favorite interactive math package and I will look into
adding it. This may need to wait until a plugin loader mechanism is
implemented.

Features:
--------
* Transparent SSH sessions (especially for those in university labs)
* Syntax highlighted input with history recall
* Syntax highlighlighted output (eye candy)
* Export of a session to HTML
* Integrated documentation viewer (via Konqueror)
* Multiple simulataneous sessions