Shared libraries

From: Roberto Hernández
Subject: Shared libraries
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:21:57 -0300

I've been working on binding Octave with Tcl/Tk based on John Cowgill's and
Joao Cardoso's work (there's a few messages in the mailing list archives if
anyone's interested). Part of that involves recompiling Octave with one
added C++ file in the "src" directory of the source distribution (version
2.1.34). I've already modified the corresponding Makefile to include the
mentioned file. The functions it contains are then included in the
"liboctinterp" library.

Here's the problem. When I build Octave without shared libraries everything
works perfectly. However when I try with shared libraries, for some reason
the added functions are unavailable once I run Octave. More specifically
these are the configure options:

1. "./configure --prefix=..." the result of which is

  Do internal array bounds checking:       false
  Build static libraries:                  true
  Build shared libraries:                  false
  Minimal kernel option:                   false
  Dynamic Linking (dlopen/dlsym):          true
  Dynamic Linking (shl_load/shl_findsym):  false
  Include support for GNU readline:        true

With these options things work perfectly.

2.
"./configure --prefix=... --enable-shared --enable-lite-kernel --enable-dl"
the result of which is

  Do internal array bounds checking:       false
  Build static libraries:                  true
  Build shared libraries:                  true
  Minimal kernel option:                   true
  Dynamic Linking (dlopen/dlsym):          true
  Dynamic Linking (shl_load/shl_findsym):  false
  Include support for GNU readline:        true

With these options the added functions are unavailable.

I am not very experienced in programming or Linux, so I thought someone with
more knowledge in the area could orient me as to what I need to do.

Thanks,

Roberto Hernandez
address@hidden