Windows Octave

From: John Day
Subject: Windows Octave
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:43:34 -0400

I am using the Windows binary ver 2.1.33 (downloaded from http://members.localnet.com/~tomcw/) which installs itself in a stripped-down Cygwin environment. I say "stripped down" because some basic Unix text tools (grep awk sed etc) seem to be missing.

Some contributed m-files (aload,asave etc) depend on these tools via system calls.

Is there any way to obtain and install these Unix tools onto an existing Cygwin/Octave binary installation? Is it possible to complete the Cygwin installation in such a way that gcc could be installed to rebuild Octave from the sources?

Thanks,
John Day