ITP: gpcl -- General Polygon Clipper Library + Octave bindings

From: Rafael Laboissiere
Subject: ITP: gpcl -- General Polygon Clipper Library + Octave bindings
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:51:44 +0200

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist

[ Note:  I am crossposting this message, originally intented to the Debian
  Bug Tracking System, to the help-octave and octave-dev mailing list. I am
  to busy/lazy to do several announcements. ]

I am in the process of packaging Alan Murta's General Polygon Clipper
Library.  Its web site is the following:

    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~amurta/software/index.html#gpc

Unfortunately, the licence terms (non-commercial distribution only) will
prevent the packages from going into main.  It will land on non-free.

I added autoconf/automake/libtool support to the upstream sources, but I am
considering this modification as a Debian specific one (hence the
modifications will appear only in the diff.gz file).

I also generated Octave bindings for the library, allowing easy access to
the polygon clipping routines, as well as plotting, from Octave programs,
like this:

     s = gpc_read ("subj1.gpf");
     c = gpc_read ("clip1.gpf");

     r = gpc_clip (s,c);

     gpc_plot (s, "r");
     gpc_plot (c, "g");
     gpc_plot (r, "b");

I am planning to contribute the Octave bindings to octave.sf.net.

Here are the descriptions of the Debian packages:

 Package: libgpcl0
 Version: 2.31-1
 Section: non-free/math
  A flexible and highly robust polygon set operations library for use with C
  applications, as referenced in the comp.graphics.algorithms FAQ and the
  UIUC Computational Geometry Pages.
  .
  Features:
     * Difference, intersection, exclusive-or and union clip operations are
       supported.
     * Polygons may be comprised of multiple disjoint contours.
     * Contour vertices may be given in any order - clockwise or
       anticlockwise.
     * Contours may be convex, concave or self-intersecting.
     * Contours may be nested (i.e. polygons may have holes).
     * Output may take the form of either polygon contours or tristrips.
     * Hole and external contours are differentiated in the result.
     * Coincident edges and degenerate regions are handled correctly.
  .
  For more information see:
     http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~amurta/software/index.html#gpc

 Package: libgpcl-dev
 Version: 2.31-1
 Section: non-free/math
  A flexible and highly robust polygon set operations library for use with C
  applications, as referenced in the comp.graphics.algorithms FAQ and the
  UIUC Computational Geometry Pages.
  .
  This package contains the include files and static library for the GPC
  library.  Also included some example polygons and HTML documentation.
  .
  For more information see :
     http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~amurta/software/index.html#gpc

 Package: octave-gpc
 Version: 0.1-1
 Section: contrib/math
  GPC is a flexible and highly robust polygon set operations
  library for use with C applications.  This package contains bindings for
  use of the library functions with Octave.

--
Rafael Laboissiere <address@hidden>