Re: Octave .oct files, egcs, and GCC...

From: Braddock Gaskill
Subject: Re: Octave .oct files, egcs, and GCC...
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 19:41:36 -0400

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 07:00:34PM -0400, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> Braddock Gaskill <address@hidden> writes:
> > And to think I thought GCC and EGCS had already completed merging ages
> > ago... :/
>
> They didn't as much merge as rename egcs to gcc... old egcs isn't an
> uptodate C++ compiler, the one we (Red Hat) started shipping in Red
> Hat Linux 7 (with Mandrake now following our lead) is much more so.

This is what I THOUGHT; Mandrake 8 has seperate packages for
egcs-1.1.2 and gcc-2.96, and this /usr/bin/kgcc is owned by egcs.
Note, the reason I discovered that octave/oct.h worked is because kgcc
is in the 'mkoctfile' command on my distro.

Oh well, beats me what's going on...just thought maybe someone else
would be banging their head on the same problem and a google search
could pop this up.

I should probably switch back to RedHat; Mandrake does a good job on
things, but I don't trust any distribution that doesnt' include
'telnet' by default. :(

        -Braddock