Re: Clarity on GPL and Octave licensing

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Clarity on GPL and Octave licensing
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 12:55:30 -0500

   My problem is likely to stem from the fact that I do government
   sponsored research, and can't always provide my routines to the public,
   as much as I would like to!

Having worked for the government, I am under the impression that pretty much
all I do is explicitly in public domain, because it has been paid for by the
taxpayer. There are two exceptions that I know of: official secrets (never had
any myself, though) and situations where the government entered into contracts
with third parties, limiting the public distribution of the results.

I am not a lawyer, and the above is just my opinion, but I would definitely ask
what are the grounds for keeping the results from the public.

        przemek