Re: Optimization toolbox (re-starting)

From: Ben Sapp
Subject: Re: Optimization toolbox (re-starting)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:24:36 -0700

Etienne Grossmann wrote:
>   I plan to write minimization functions that use 1st (conjugate
> gradient method) and 2nd (Newton-like method) for minimizing
> functions. The synopsis would be of the same kind. Also, I will write
> a fancier front-end function like "minimize (f, args, options)" with
> named options, mostly for command-line usage.

It would be nice if you explained what R and C were in your
documentation.  Having a "minimize" for the command line is a great
idea.

I am curious, do you have any plans to implement bounded
minimization/maximization in your toolbox?  It would be really nice if
you did.  :)    I do not think any one has implemented this for Octave.
It would be a nice thing to have.

--
Ben Sapp                         Los Alamos National Laboratory
email: <mailto:address@hidden>   Phone: (505)667-3277