Re: some thoughts about the future of Octave

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: some thoughts about the future of Octave
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 17:04:44 +0000

For better splines, try:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/octave/scripts/numeric/splines/?cvsroot=octave

And send thanks to Kai Habel.

I posted a "how to write .oct files" message a while back.  This needs to
be updated with jwe comments, and to include a description of how to handle
Octave structure values (which has been posted 2 or 3 times before).

Surely writing an fmins wrapper around the various optimization functions
that others have submitted would not be too difficult.  I've even gathered
a bunch of them at:
        http://users.powernet.co.uk/kienzle/octave/optim.tar.gz
As for programming m-files, I think you would be best off finding an
old matlab tutorial.  The syntax of 4.2 is close enough not to cause
too many problems.  This should be enough to get you started.  Once you
get something that sort of works, you can submit it to octave-sources
so others have a base to work from.