Re: mkoctfile

From: Thomas Hoffmann
Subject: Re: mkoctfile
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:13:22 +0100 (MET)

> > I don't think anyone has yet done the work to make dynamically linked
> > functions work with Octave on Windows systems.  If this is not
> > correct, would someone who uses Windows and Octave and dynamically
> > linked functions please provide the details so that it can be made to
> > work by default in the Octave distributions?
>
> I remember building .oct files on Windows after mucking around with the
> list of libraries to link with and so on, but beware that the size is
> going to be *huge* even for a the smallest .oct file due to static
> linking of all the Octave libraries. The solution is to build Octave
> libraries as DLLs under windows, but that's much easier said that done.
> I did at one point, way in the past, made *most* of the changes needed,
> but it wasn't quite all there. The trouble with Windows DLLs is that you
> have *explicitly* import/export DLL variables (the functions can be
> transparently handled via import libraries), and that requires lots of
> painstaking work when dealing with source base that wasn't designed for
> it from the get go (which is most things written on and for Unix).

Wouldn't it be a good idea to look into the OS/2 port of Octave, which has
to fight with the same mechanism for dynamic linking as Windows and comes
with a working mkoctfile.cmd? Klaus Gebhardt has ported Octave in a way that
it consists of a bunch of DLLs and a rather small "main exe", IIRC.
Some conversation about a common strategy of modularisation under OS/2 and
Windows would be a good thing, I think.

Regards,
Thomas.