Re: Matlab Compatibility (Was: The future of Octave (Matlab))

From: David Doolin
Subject: Re: Matlab Compatibility (Was: The future of Octave (Matlab))
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 17:01:53 -0500 (EST)

> > Comments?  Would this work?
>
> For those "little differences", the answer is probably yes.  However, for
> the majority of items people are interested in (sparse matrices, handle
> graphics, etc) I do not see how this simple approach would work without
> changing Octave's core in an almost Matlab compatible way.  It is exactly
> this kind of compatibility pursuit that jwe is justifiably trying to avoid.
>
> Full Matlab compatibility is a holy grail.  Let us abandon this goal.

Yes, let's.  For those people that want or need matlab, such as myself,
they can just buy matlab, like I did.

So let's move on.  I am still interested in where octave may be going,
since I still use it where I can, so making a clean break with matlab
right now lessens the pain in the long run.

Whats the next step?